Dealing with bands can be frustrating. Well, no that's not true. Band are fun, it's dealing with money and bands that sucks.
Just like your guitars cost money, your van needs gas and your drummer needs a haircut CAMERA STUFF COSTS MONEY TOO.
Listen, bands: there are two options.
1. Get a good photographer.
2. Get a craigslist photographer.
Option one involves getting good photographs that wont make your band look like shit. IT ALSO INVOLVES PAYING MORE THEN $45 FOR SOME DAMN PHOTOS.
For option two you pay $25 bucks for "FIVE* PROFESSIONALLY** EDITED*** PHOTOS**** OF YOUR CHOICE" "GIVEN TO YOU ON A CD" "WITH FULL RIGHTS TO THE IMAGES".
So as a band you're thinking "Oh shit well, we don't really have any money right now, and we just need a few simple shots." Really? Really man? Out of the whole band you can't get $30 from each guy?
Ok, not every band is out to make it big, that shouldn't be the point of any band. But if you're looking for photos then you're obviously thinking about advertising and promotion to some degree. You know what really wont draw fans? Boring photo of your band. When they're looking at the 100th page of bands on MySpace yr not going to stick out.
1. Save your money for a good photographer. Shop around to find someone whos style you like. You wont regret it.
2. Don't get a craigslist photographer, they're a waste of your time.
3. If you REALLY, REALLY can't afford some good photography then get someone to draw something sweet for your band. Pay them too.
4. Ok. So you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY can't afford to pay anyone ANYTHING? Then fucking work on you music.
*The only five that were in focus.
**The work "professionally" is used very loosely on craigslist. People seem to think that if you've EVER made money from photography then you are a professional. Hell, if you PLAN on making money as a photographer you're considered professional.
***"Edited" meaning hey I got's real good at Photoshop filters over the summer + I can turn this shit BLACK & WHITE or SUPER SATURATED or MAKE ONLY THE RED PARTS OF THE PICTURE IN COLOR.
****Not photos you'd want to use to advertise your band though.